Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Daniel Pink: ABC's to sales. yes I'm in sales


“Would you like a glass of wine?”  “Here is a name tag,” said the pretty blonde.  Tell me about yourself.” No I was not at a a singles gathering.

I was attending a reception in the corporate quarters of the Free Library of Philadelphia. Development folks know how to relate. Note to self: serve wine that isn’t an inbred cousin to grape juice at our gatherings. When possible furnish the room with doric columns and 18th century gilded framed portraits.

The reception was for Daniel Pink, a social science pop theory author. My favorite: A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers will Rule the Future. Of course I love it, I’m a righty.

Last night after the reception we were ushered into a sold out (well its free) auditorium. The Lecture was on his newest book: To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others

Premise One: We all do Sales
Daniel on the stage with a rock star mic wrapped around his head, in a well fitted suit, he often pushed his jacket back revealing his slim figure saying:

Officially 1out 9 workers in the US are in sales.
However when you review the results of his survey of 7000 individuals that represent the contours of the work force-- 9/9 people do some kind of sales. A key question from the survey: what percent of your time is spent getting someone to give you a resource (time, attention, effort, money) in order to get something back. On average, non sales people said they spent 41percent of their time doing sales.

Premise Two: People hate sales
A word cloud showed that the most often given responses to the question:  “what word comes  to your mind when you hear sales?” Slimy, crummy, auto, smarmy, ugh..etc. You get the point.

So if we all do sales, how do you do it well?
I’m going to give his answer. What’s most important about what he shared is how he embodied his shpiel in his presentation. So for all of us who have to present, to teach, to sell and idea he told us the ABC’s of sales.

Attunement

Buoyancy

Clarity

I could share his definitions, but more importantly for me is how embodied them. He was after all selling us his book.

Attunement
·       He called on people, got their names and used them
·       
He referred to people who had called on before by name and linking them to others in the audience

·       He looked you in the eye when he spoke

·       And he gave me a shiver, when I asked the question “Tell us more about the shift from problem solving to problem identification” he said “you are an educator, right?” Attuned?

·       When someone said he had emailed him and he hadn’t heard back, he said “give me your name I’m sorry I will”

Buoyancy:
·       He was funny
·       Smiled often
·       When challenged, he left the quiet space for it and responded
·       Moved on

Clarity:
·       If he had more than 8 slides for the whole presentation I’d be surprised
·       Only one slide (and it was a joke) had more than 10 words on it

·       And the biggest test that he made the sale
I am a right brainer and I remember all of what I've shared  and more. I didn't take a note down.

Note to self: You are going to UJA Federation of New York on Thursday to ask for a grant for a million dollars.  Do I know my ABCs?

No comments:

Post a Comment