Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mirror Mirror, Reflections on Session 3 .

Reflection on Third Session: Two take aways

1. Building relationships: Your story matters here.

“So take a Shabbat pause. Share something good that happened since we were together last.”

“I got my permit.”

“I applied to my first college.”

“My hockey team won.”

“I babysat and made 10 an hour.”

“I went to my first same sex wedding under a chuppah.” (I said)

Everyone had something to share. Shabbas and this kahal is a place where your story is heard. This is a place to be known.

I’m starting to feel it in the air. Connection. I can see the smiles, the eye contact, a quick willingness to share.

Jennifer Groen of Moving Traditions led a session in Manhattan this week for LOMED teachers. She said, “as much as you can keep recalling the story of the students..the dog they bought, they game they just played.”

Students are beginning to be able to say:

“I am seen, I am known and I’m not alone.” Good mantra. Essential!

Sharon Daloz Parks writes, "If we want to learn about the formation of a person's life, a helpful question to pose is "Who recognized you?" or "Who saw you?" As human beings we all have a need to be ":seen." ....the young adult seeks recognition in a wider world of adult roles and responsibilities (beyond parents). Important is a respected voice from beyond the parental sphere, the mentor (teacher) recognizes the practical terms the promise and the vulnerability of the young adult life," p. 129

2. Assessment is good for you

I used the survey. I’ve never done that with madrichim before. I usually have a pretty casual atmosphere and never thought of doing any kind of formalized assessment before.

What seemed to come from the survey?

  • Students took it very seriously. Assessment is their bread and butter. Filling something out (yes they liked the stickers) was normal for them

I was clear it was for helping them see their learning, not for grading or judgment

  • Students saw they had learned something concrete or they hadn’t (what does give the benefit of the doubt mean asked one student. Another gave the answer)

  • Good review. The survey itself repeated the values we had learned

  • The survey focused on what is important, hey students, pay attention to this

And for me:

    1. I learned not everyone is buying the idea that Torah is a tree of life that helps you grow and live your life…we need to spend more time with that…let’s keep struggling andexperimenting with it

No comments:

Post a Comment