Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Yizkor: Remembering on the last day of Passover

Today, my friend Laurie and I went to shul to say kaddish. On the last day of Passover, Sukkot, and Shavuot it has been our custom to go to Yizkor services for loved ones who have died.

 Cosee Revaya-my cup runs over, we sang after we said kaddish. My cup is full from all my mother gave me in her short life. And the longing for what is missed is there too.   I wrote this over twenty years ago. The fullness and the emptiness haven't changed in the 38 years since she died.

It has been so long since I have touched you
And yet you seem to touch me every day
      I feel you in my heart
      when I hold my children near
      I feel you in my soul
      when I soar with their joy
      I feel you in my mind
      when I guide them on the paths of life
              The touch is not complete

You did not feel the parchment of my diploma
You did not feel the lace of my bridal gown
You did not feel the sweet flesh of my baby sons

            Moments never felt
                 To ask you how you did it
                 To share a cup of Sanka
                 To call you Mom instead of Mommy
                 To buy a dress you did not like

 The hands of time unfold
Now I am a woman with confidence and wrinkles
Now I am a wife with love and compromise
Now I am a mother with pride and worries
Now I am just like you

             The eternal embrace
   Your words echo in my ear
     of wisdom and character
     of love and devotion
     of patience and compassion
              To be heard in our generations to come

It has been so long since I have touched you
And yet you seem to touch me every day

No comments:

Post a Comment